This article is about sea power. For the Rule of the Sea, see Hydrarchy. For its land equivalent, see Tellurocracy.
Thalassocracy is a political ideology that holds for a state that has naval control over a body of water (specifically seas and even oceans), either militarily or commercially. However, Thalassocracy is more of a policy rather than an ideology. As a policy it is easiest to implement in an authoritarian right society, but can work in any ideology with a state that maintains trade and/or a military.
The Phoenicians served as intermediaries between the disparate civilizations that spanned the Mediterranean and Near East, facilitating the exchange of not only goods, but knowledge, culture, and religious traditions, for centuries, the Phoenician civilisation was the uncontested master of the sea. The Phoenician trading posts, which spanned the entire Mediterranean coast, eventually transformed into colonies, although these colonies had very high autonomy. While calling this mix-match of fiercely independent city-states an "empire" is historically false, the "Phoenician Empire" serves to represent the cultural impact of the Phoenicians, and the extent of their influence. For example most alphabets have been developed as children systems of the first Alphabet, the Phoenician alphabet.
The Majapahit were a thalassocracy controlling an empire in the East Indies, the underlying political system was a Hindu monarchy led by the Chakravartin, considered a living god with rightful dominion over Earth. While the Chakravartin had control over Bhumi, or the nation, the Rayja controls the Nagara, or the province, the Watek describes the regency, led by the Wiyasa, the Kuwu, or district was controlled by the Lurah, the Wanua, or village, was owned by the Thani, and finally, the Kabayutan described the hamlet or sanctuary.
Italian Merchant Republics
After the fall of rome italian patrician families would form republics imitating the roman republican system these flourished through trade and fought often, up untill the discovery of america they dominated most european trade.
The serene republic of venice is a famous italian merchant republic they were ruled by an elected doge
The origin of the name thalassocracy, given to them by neighboring Greece. TBA
How to Draw
- Draw a ball.
- Fill in with white.
- Draw the third top in yellow.
- Draw the third bottom in blue.
- Draw blue waves on the third bottom.
- Draw in the eyes.
|Yellow||#FFE600||255, 230, 0|
|White||#FFFFFF||255, 255, 255|
|Blue||#0036A7||0, 54, 167|
Thalassocracy will usually be seen as militant or business-oriented, and if militant make sure he threatens as many people as possible with historical naval punishments. Thinks he's brilliant and out of the box for the idea of territorializing water and emphasizes this as much as possible.
- Stratocracy - Really loving that military dictatorship! Have you thought about spicing things up with a naval emphasis?
- Imperialism - I think it's time to broaden your horizons, land acquisition's all well and good but you need to get yourself some water.
- Dengism - Island building, an interesting way to update for the modern day, I like it.
- Showa Statism - Other Asian friend. Loved your ways to go, buddy.
- British Imperialism - Rule Britannia Intensifies
- Guild Socialism - The guilds from merchant republics are one of my best clients.
- Mercantilism - We have an excellent working relationship.
- Liquid Democracy - When I said I like water i didn't mean it like that.
- Monarchism - I'll gladly serve you my king if you stop taxing my shipping company!
- Crusadism - Look im glad you helped me in the 4th crusade but that was screwed up!
- Hydrarchy - You're my son, but you need to stop raiding mercantile ships. You can still say arr, if you like.
- Globalism - You give those shipping companies I like so much more power, just stop complicating naval borders please.
- Liberalism - You're a disgusting spineless landlover.
- Tellurocracy - Another one, also your navy is shit.
- Neo-Ottomanism - The battle of Lepanto was one of the best days of my life!
- Zoroastrian Theocracy - Same thing with the Battle of Salamis
- Orangism - You killed the Dutch naval golden age, prepare to be keelhauled!
- Anti-Japaneseism - The Meiji Restoration was based! Say, if the weight of Japanese Imperialism is so tremendous, let's tie it around your ankles and see how deep you fall.
- Anarchism, especially left anarchism, especially especially Anarcho-Pacifism - We need a state, and we need either capitalism or war, some of you are worse than others in this respect, but you're all terrible.