Mobutuism was the official state ideology in Zaire incorporating "nationalism," "revolution," and "authenticity. Revolution was described as a "truly national revolution, essentially pragmatic," which called for "the repudiation of both capitalism and communism," favoring "national revolution", and purging of European culture from Africa. Mobutuism also sought to replace Christianity in Zaire with a religious devotion to Mobutu as Messiah. Mobutu at the smallest tried to look less of a CIA-funded puppet and more of a Black Nationialist.
In Zaire, now the modern-day Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mobutu Sese Seko got into power as a military general by assassinating the socialist prime minister Patrice Lumuba in the 1961 coup backed by Belgium and the CIA. Upon the Congo crisis, (which started the country's turmoil not long after independence), many separatists and socialist insurgencies took power in certain areas of the country. But to the intervention of the UN, the republic was vanquished in no time.
Elections in the Congo took place on March of 1965 when the Convention Nationale Congolaise party won the majority vote. However, Mobuto disagreed that Évariste Kimba should be prime minister, and planned a successful coup that inaugurated himself as dictator of the Congo, thus ending the Congo conflict and restoring (some) stability. Upon the rest of the 1960s, Mobutu started to introduce a policy where many things were Africanized, especially city names like Stanleyville being renamed Kisigani.
On 27 October 1971, he renamed the country Zaire, after the Zaire river.
Personally, Mobutu was evil as hell and was willing to silence opponents, but because many of his views were anti-communist such as supporting the Portuguese in Angola (and as said helping kill Patrice, who was a socialist), USA and Apartheid South Africa were willing to support Zaire for the rest of the Cold War (despite the latter being a wignat satate).
However, Mobutu Sese Mobutu's rule would be started to have been tampered, because MPLA had now won independence for Angola, and wanted to topple Zaire. They then funded former separatists in the Katanga province known as the Congolese National Liberation Front, and sent two failed incursions in the country to overthrow Zaire.
By the time the Cold War ended, the USA stopped supporting Mobutu and started to isolate his country.
In Rwanda however, the Tutsis felt oppressed by the Hutu government and started to rebel. As a result, this led to a horrible event; the Rwandan Genocide. This led to many Tutsis fleeing to Zaire. Hutu extremists, ALIRball and Interahamweball also fled to Zaire, and used refugee camps to try to build a coalition to invade Rwanda. To reduce a rebellion by the Tutsis, started allowing the Hutus to shelter in eastern Zaire. But this only gave the Tutsi-dominated government in Rwandaball an excuse to invade the region. Uganda & Burundi, all three of which which Mobutu had supported opposition groups against in the past.
Congolese Laurent Kabila believed that by siding with the invaders and rebels, he can end Zaire, bring a democratic state, and improve living conditions in the Congo. Well, Zaire's dictator had been dying anyways. Alliance of Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Congoball was created and operated in the eastern portion of Zaire, and overtime, the more the war went on the more territory Kabila helped foreign invaders seize. Zaire had to rely on mercenaries from around many countries in Africa with some from Europe, with the promise of giving them access to African resources. The White Legion was made up with former Yugoslavia, defended Kisangani until it fell. Months after, Angola started dropping in troops near the capital. Eventually, Kabila and his allies reached the Congo and the the Democratic Republic of the Congo was proclaimed. To avoid capture, Mobutu flees to Morocco, where he dies a few months after.
After Mobutu's death
After Mobutu Sese Seko's death, his son Nzanga Mobutu took on the Mobutist movement, but not officially. He founded the Neo-Mobutist Union of Mobutuist Democrats, which claims to be the successor to his father's party, the Popular Movement of the Revolution. The Union of Mobutuist Democrats is very Conservative.
How to Draw
The design of Mobutism is of the national flag of the Republic of Zaire
- Draw a bright green ball
- Draw a yellow circle in the center
- draw an African arm holding a torch
- Add the eyes and you're done!
- Neoconservatism - Thank you for assassinating Lumumba and getting me in power! But Why are You friend with him?
- Hutu Power - Sheltering of the FDLR and Hutus go brrrrr.
- Reactionarism & Cultural Nationalism - We must bring back the African cultures that define us today.
- Cultism -I see myself as a prophet of god. Praise me!
- Nixonism -
- Oligarchy - I will confiscate all wealth to my party members!
- Black Nationalism - Why must you hate me? I africanized culture and your leftist variants look down on me for collaborating with "imperialists"?
- Maoism - The communism is cringey, but I greatly admire your attire and how you opposed the scummy Soviets after he took power!
- Gaddafism - Even though he's a filthy Arab socialist, he's also a chad pan-African.
- Sankarism - Fellow African, but he's a filthy commie.
- Mugabeism - Fellow African Nationalist, but he's a socialist.
- Tutsi Extremism - You took on a few of my ideas, but what is this "socialism" agenda?
- Fascism - I like some of your ideas but why do you have to be so anti-black?
- Capitalism - Our slogan is "Neither left nor right", cappie. But Léon Kengo wa Dondo was very helpful.
- African Socialism - Fuck off, Lumumba!!
- FPR - Silly Tutsis who sent their refugees to take me down just because I defended Hutus against them.
- Khrushchevism - NOPE!
- Democracy - "In our African tradition there are never two chiefs .... That is why we Congolese, in the desire to conform to the traditions of our continent, have resolved to group all the energies of the citizens of our country under the banner of a single national party."
- Castroism - Fuck you for supporting the Angolans!
- White Nationalism - You fought commies in Angola but you are racist.
- Imperialism - You made Zaire a colony and slaughtered my people! I had to use the Authenticité to wipe your disgusting legacy out! But I like your son.
- How Mobutu Conquered Congo | The Complex History of the Leopard of Zaire by NewAfrica
- MOBUTU SESE SEKO: The rise and fall of ZAIRE's DICTATOR by African Biographics