Clientelism is a form of politics that involves the exchange of goods and services for political support and loyalty, typically manifesting itself in an asymmetric relationship between groups of political actors described as patrons, brokers, and clients, with a typical example being the patron offering financial aid to it's clients in exchange for their votes in an election.
Unlike it's mother Welfarism, Clientelism does not seek to truly redistribute wealth or uplift the needy, but rather, to create a situation of dependence, where the clients are coerced into voting for the patrons if they want to keep their benefits.
How to draw
- Kleptocracy - Thanks dad for teaching me all about how to embezzle public funds, I will make sure to get the plebs voting for you next election.
- Social Authoritarianism - Dissenters don't get the welfare indeed!
- Welfare Chauvinism - Giving special benefits to one select group at the expense of all the others ?, Based!
- Welfarism - Thanks mom for teaching me all about giving gibs to masses, but what do you mean about "actually helping people" ?
- Libertarianism - No handouts ?, Cringe!